Tuesday, May 17, 2016

"Whāia te mātauranga hei oranga mō koutou - Seek after learning

The guiding whakatauki for this journal reflection speaks to the importance of continual learning, growth and development. As we come to the end of the school year and ECC teachers (including me) experience end of year learning conversations, we have the opportunity to articulate and consolidate our learning and development.

"Whāia te mātauranga hei oranga mō koutou - Seek after learning for the sake of your wellbeing" is a beautiful summary of this year for me. I have been so honored to be a learning partner/coach with 18+ people this year, engaging in coaching conversations, celebrating successes, identifying challenges and being a reflection board (paraphraser) to their thinking.

On a personal level, I have learned and grown so much I'm "all full up". There's no more room for more learning right now ;)

WHAT'S HAPPENING?

Explicitly role-model and identify Adaptive School strategies in team meetings and Coaches Community of Practice - I have morphed some of my learning from adaptive schools and Art of facilitation into my team meetings/pod meetings but haven't been very explicit about calling them Adaptive Schools. When I was developing my Pecha Kucha from my Adaptive Schools conference I quickly realised that some of the "Adaptive Schools" strategies can be classified as "better ways of working" Im choosing not to call them adaptive schools strategies, instead I am going to use the "What, Why. How" strategy to make explicit my rationale for using particular strategies.

Honesty is the best policy, be careful what you ask for I have the pleasure of working with a high-functioning, hard-working, super committed and HONEST team. So honest, that they have been very forthcoming with critical feedback and ways that I can improve my practice and my coaching conversations. I appreciate all of the comments, this one had me laughing so hard I can't help but share (with their permission of course). As I progress in my coaching skills it starts to become a part of who I am. Many people noticed or commented that they appreciate that I was a novice and still learning (one teacher saying, It was kind of weird, I figured you were learning so went with it). This Ted Talk by Benjamin Zander: The transformative power of classical music is a great way of showing the progression of a learner. I sounded/was clunky in the beginning but as I work hard at aspects of my coaching I hope to get a little bit better over time.



WHAT'S NOT HAPPENING?

Keep practising the Reflective and Planning Coaching Conversations Map (remembering the last region) I haven't really practiced the map recently due to coaching conversations primarily focussing on End of Year conversations and Vital Teaching Practices. I will prioritise this towards the end of the year and early next year.

Share Adaptive Schools Pecha Kucha with team - In two weeks I will share my Adaptive Schools Pecha Kucha with my team. It's ready to go I just haven't had a chance to share it.
Pop-ins to classrooms - As the end of year meetings (planning for next year meetings, curriculum meetings, PedCo meetings, Leadership meetings etc) across TKS start kicking up a notch I am not in classrooms as much as I would like. I had quite a bit of feedback saying that teachers appreciate my presence and pop-in visits to classrooms and haven't prioritised this enough this year.

What, why, how - I'm cringing and giggling at the process I introduced to my team at recent pod meetings. I need to get better at explaining what we are doing, why we are doing and how we are doing it (the process). I invited my team to bring their pedagogical documentation from our recent unit to share with their pod. I meet with Pod A, B , C back to back on a Monday. Pod A just arrived and I threw them into sharing without really explaining the whole process, Pod B I explained the process half way through and by the time I got to Pod C I had my script/explanation well thought out and shared what was expected. I need to get better at making the what, why, how more explicit.

Here's how it played out...(or was supposed to play out)

A) Briefly share your inquiry using your documentation as a visual (no cross-talking from other members)
B) Each pod member will ask a challenging question to encourage the author/sharer to think.
C) Author/sharer will get the opportunity to answer and clarify their thinking to group.
D) Next member shares their documentation, the process continues till all members have shared.

Please stay tuned as I walk the road of self-improvement and offer more examples of "better ways of working" '


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a piece of your mind behind...