Thursday, February 25, 2016

What impact did external PD have on your learning? - Pecha Kucha

In my role as Pedagogical Coordinator I have been focussing on "utilizing expertise within the school to expedite development of teachers". This is an area that I see fundamental to the growth and organisational culture of a school. Many years ago I attended a Pecha Kucha night in my hometown of Otara. The topics ranged from Graffiti art, fashion design, urban design and others. I was “wowed” by the powerful way in which people shared strong messages in a visual and succinct way. I have been pondering ways in which I could implement this in my team context. I took a leap of faith and invited colleagues to share using this format...

Hello colleagues
Recently you attended school funded PD/or you have talked to me about new learning and inspiration. I would like to invite you to prepare a Pecha Kucha presentation to share your new learning as a result of your PD. The first Pecha Kucha in K2 will start 10th January 2015. You only need to talk for 6 minutes and 40 seconds, share your ideas then hand over the reigns to another colleague.

What is Pecha Kucha?
Pecha Kucha is 20 images x 20 seconds = 6 minutes and 40 seconds in total

Who am I inviting to present? (have taken out names)
PE conference
Tech conference
Assessment and Documentation workshop
Light room (inspired by Reggio conference last year)
Teacher Learning Forum in Qatar
Cognitive Coaching - Naketa

What do I need to do?
Create a Google Presentation with 20 slides (mostly images) and email the link to me focusing on what you have implemented as a result of your PD.  

I was pleasantly surprised by the response, and have had most of the teachers respond to the challenge. The request for a Pecha Kucha usually comes a month after they have attended PD so that they can share with us the actual impact and shifts in thinking the PD has had and the short succinct nature of the sharing make it even more accessible to the team.

In what ways do you encourage teams to share ideas? Below is my slideshow after my first 4 days of Cognitive Coaching.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a piece of your mind behind...