Monday, April 13, 2009

Warm Fuzzy for Easter

I have had the best Easter weekend! I hung out with my kids, did everything THEY wanted to do and had 3 straight days of cuddles, games, baking and conversations with them.  My life is so busy normally with kids sports, school meetings, drop offs, pick ups, workshops, emails, phone calls etc that I sometimes find myself at 7.45pm (15 minutes before bedtime) looking at my kids saying where did the last 12 hours go?

We are a breakfast family, I wake up early to make them a warm breakfast before school almost everyday (excluding those days where we skip off to a cafe for a coffee and fluffy).  I have fond memories of my grandmother doing this for us when we were younger and that sense of belonging, warmth, safety and security is something I want my kids to have each day.  I have had two 'things' bookmarked to blog about for some time now and thought that this would be an appropriate post to diary them in my blog.

The first one is a great blog my colleague Helen steered me towards a while back, but this particular post by Wake Up Tiger is something that really resonates with me, growing up in a single parent family in the heart of South Auckland definitely has its challenges - although we were not rich in monetary value we were wealthy in love, family, wairua and culture.
The father of a wealthy Mosman family took his son on a trip to country NSW, with the purpose of showing his son how poor people can be.
They spent a couple of days and nights on the farm of what would be considered a very poor family.


On their way back in the car the father turned to his son and asked him, "So, how was the trip?"

"It was great, Dad." "Did you see how poor people can be?" the father asked. "Oh yeah" said his son. "So what did you learn from the trip?" asked the father.

His son answered, "I saw that we have one dog and they have four. We have a pool that reaches to the middle of our garden and they have a creek that has no end. We have imported lanterns in our garden and they have the stars at night. Our patio reaches to the front yard and they have the whole horizon. We have a small piece of land to live on and they have fields that go beyond our sight. We buy our food, but they grow theirs. We have walls around our property to protect us, they have friends and neighbours who protect them."

Then his son added, "Thanks Dad for showing me how poor we are."

Original Post here

The next one is a movie my sister made we watch several months ago, titled "The Ultimate Gift", its a warm- fuzzy-type-movie that will leave you feeling 'oh-so-blessed'.  The movie works through a series of 'gifts' a wealthy grandfather leaves for his grandson.  He's surprised to see that it's not your normal type of inhertitance but a series of life lessons/blessings:
* The Gift of Work
* The Gift of Problems
* The Gift of Friends
* The Gift of Giving
* The Gift of Gratitude
* The Gift of Family
* The Gift of Learning
* The Gift of Money
* The Gift of Laughter
* The Gift of a Day
* The Gift of Dreams
* The Gift of Love (which leads to the Ultimate Gift)

I encourage you to watch this movie and reflect on the many blessings you have in your life today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a piece of your mind behind...