School starting age: The evidence
An article referring to the importance of play based childhood.
* Advocacy for play-based learning
* Research that overwhelmingly supports a later start to formal schooling
* Play enables humans to become powerful learners and problem solvers
Spoken Word: Invisible Privilege by Sacha Norrie
A video at Spoken Word - South Auckland Poets. The ongoing dialogue between Maori and Pakeha and the history and emotions this provokes. Fabulous piece of Spoken Word.
* When I turn on the TV it is through my eyes the news is shown.
* I have never had to claim back my culture because it was never taken from me.
* I am the coloniser - said no Pakeha ever.
From Faking it to Making it: A PYP reflection
A great article that looks at one persons reflection on PYP.
* Having the concepts, IB Learner Profile etc up on the wall does not make you a PYP teacher.
* Very timely as I start my PYP journey.
Failure and mistakes
An open reflection looking at the lessons we learn from failure and mistakes
* Make you school (and life) a safe zone for failure and mistakes.
This article grabbed me because last week in my class of 4 and 5 year olds I encouraged the children to pretend that they were on a raft (also known as a bit of fabric) and that there were sharks in the water we had to use two pieces of material (aslo known as rafts) to get to the beach (also known as the bit of lino that leads to our corridor). All but two of the children could 'pretend' to be on a raft and see sharks. Imagination is so important for life. Einstein said "Imagination is everything it is the preview to life's coming attractions".
Another awesome article from David Penberg.
Five reasons to stop saying "Good Job".
1. Manipulating children
2. Creating praise junkies
3. Stealing a child's pleasure
4. Losing interest
5. Reducing achievement
What can we say when children do something impressive?
* Say nothing
* Say what you saw
* Talk less, ask more
It's not a box
Leading on from the imagination article, shared at work by colleagues but also seen on Dereks blog.
A video that supports the importance of imagination.
An article that reminds us to work with our colleagues and meet them where they are in terms of their learning and understanding, and vice versa.
Healthy Habits of Mind
Link to a wonderful video that reminds us to slow down and look at healthy habits of mind.
Mindful eating, mindful listening, mindful movement.
How do you plan?
Another article supporting my PYP learning.